share some thoughts

Sunday, July 03, 2005

old friends

I just came back from an evening out with my sister, an old friend and her 4 year old. We originally were going to “walk” a few kilos. We were wearing our sweat suits and sneakers and everything. We really intended to walk but this is scenario clakette millionth time. We ended up eating at la poire and chatting till 11 pm!!

It was fun, because we kept remembering things we used to do back when we were younger, age 15-17 mostly. We were laughing and telling stories and my sister was laughing and amazed. Her generation is different I think. They didn’t have as much fun as we did. My friend has been around since, 1990 in our GCE year. A long time. Ma shaa Allah.

I noticed when we were talking today that we really had a lot of fun and great times in our teen years. We were really care free and just a bit , I don’t know what to call it, meharteleen maybe. We had nothing serious on our mind except going to the club on Thursday and who are we gonna see there etc etc. this I think only people of my exact age would understand. The ones a bit younger (like my sister) were different and so were the bit older (like my brother). Both generations seemed more serious somehow.

It made us comfortable that we had all the wildness out of our system and had some fun years, and now it feels normal to want to calm down and pursue the more important things in life.

But the main thing I did notice is that these friends that I made years and years ago are my main friends now. I kind of never made such serious friendships again. I wonder why. All of my close friends I have known for 10-15 years. Most of them the 15 year thing. In those years. I am not saying that I have no new friends (and by new I mean 3-4 years) but in comparison I feel like they are just acquaintances even though I love them a lot and would be there for support anytime. If you ask me who my close friends are, the old ones would ALL have to come first before any of the new ones.

It is just different when you have known someone for such a long time, it is more I think that they know you inside out, know how you were so know where you come from now. My new friends just see how I am now, they only know part of me.

I don’t know, is it more difficult to open up emotionally to new friends as you grow older? Or is it that we are emotionally fulfilled in that area, “fully booked”?

Whatever it is, old friends are great. The older the better.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/04/2005 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes i agree with ypu , doshar

    old friends since childhood are very close to you and loves you unconditionally , not bec yu are close in the way you think but bec it is been a long time

     
  • At 7/04/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I agree, Doshar, old friendships have something very special. Just yesterday I spent some time with a girls I've known for 12 years. She was telling me what happened to her in the last week and at a certain point she said "You see, you're the only one who heard the story and understood me!". It's the same where I'm concerned.

     
  • At 7/04/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Oh, and I see you managed your recent comments perfectly! :)) Congrats!

     
  • At 7/04/2005 1:25 PM, Blogger doshar said…

    thanx kayla. wouldn't have done it without you and jade :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home