share some thoughts

Monday, May 15, 2006

To see

Recently, I have noticed that next to the word verification window, there is a link for the legally blind to hear the caracters instead. I don't know if this is new, or if I just had not noticed it before, but I really appreciated it. thus reducing the amount of things a blind person can not do.

A couple of days ago, I went to help tutor this girl in English. It is sort of volunteer work that roora does actually for this specific girl through Resala. That day, Roora was not feeling too well so I went to fill in for her instead. This girl Y has very poor eyesight, so while she is not legally blind, she can not see enough to read. she is 15, and she reads and writes in the Braille method. It was the first time for me to actually see a book written in braille up close. Of course because I can not read it, she has to read out loud and i would correct her pronounciation and tell her the meaning of the new words. She would move her finger across the page and read... and the difficult words she would just keep on going to and fro with her finger on it trying to read it. The book looked peculiar to me because it is totally white. all the pages are white like an empty notebook, yet for her it was full of knowledge. It was a little tough because if she can not read something, I can not read it for her, and sometimes we have to skip it for now. but she was indeed so happy to learn. It was the fist time for me to see someone write in braille too. I learnt just a few caracters watching her write, like the e is two raised dots next to one another, but i do not know if my fingers can ever learn to diffrentiate between the patterns of the raised dots.

And she was so happy to learn, and when she would pronounce something properly she would be thrilled. In the context of the lesson, there was this question about the future and what to do and stuff. She asked me: you are a dentist, right?

I said yes... and what would you like to be? a dentist too?

it just came out naturally because I do that alot, encourage little ones to have dreams , that they can be anyhting they want to be... dreams are the first step to make them happen. A second later I realized that being a dentist is something she can never be (unless she miraculously gets her eyesight back... ) and so I tried to correct my blabbering...: I bet you would make a great teacher though... wouldn't it be nice to teach?
It would be... she answered with a smile.

And she is so sweet, with a smile on her face all the time, like an innocent child. I finished and left feeling grateful to have met her.Sometimes we do not appreciate what we have except when we see others that do not have them. I wish her all the best in life always.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/16/2006 12:56 AM, Blogger Dalulla said…

    It must have been quite an experience ya Doshar... How did you feel? Where you at ease? I some times ask myself how i would feel if i were in the same place you were in... I love to help people. But the question i keep asking myself would i be strong enough when i am so physically near to them? It is true we do not feel the value of the precious gifts we have till we have a similar experience like yours.

    I learned lately to try to remind myself and I am trying to do the same with my son in a way, always telling him he should be thankful for the blessings Allah bestowed on us.

    Al hamd Lillah al-Lathy 3afana mima ibtala bihi katheeran min 3ebadih wa fadalana 3ala katheeran miman khalaka tafdeela.

     
  • At 5/16/2006 12:59 AM, Blogger Dalulla said…

    by the way the link is new :-)

     
  • At 5/16/2006 1:36 AM, Blogger roora said…

    you didn't tell me about being dentist doshar! that is heatening

    well, who knows maybe she would do an operation and her eyesight becomes better ISA and still she won;'t be a dentist because hse wont get enough grade to let her her enter Faculty of oral and dental medicine like me :)

    believe me, still she is blessed by her her pooreye sight elhamdAllah in compare to the others who are leagally blind. Because I met two of her collagues before , I felt that she is in compare to them blesed with this poor eyesight. At least she sees me and she comments on the way I wrap my scarf and so on ... fa elhamdAllah

     
  • At 5/22/2006 7:26 PM, Blogger Darius said…

    For sure the best things are the simplest and most ubiquitous. And as you say, we don't even notice them when we have them.

    It's as though we're swimming in oceans and oceans of joy but fix most of our attention on what's most unpleasant in our lives.

     
  • At 5/25/2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Me said…

    So sweet ya Dodo ... you and Roora are just so sweet :-)

    I say the doaa Dalulla wrote so many times from all the thigns I see ... el7amdulilah for all the blessings Allah ahs bestowed on us ... really "wa amma bine3mati Rabbika fa had-dith" ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home