share some thoughts

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A gift

yesterday I was out to a few places, and came home with 3 gifts.


I went for lunch first, where a very nice person I know had just come back from Denmark, and got me this beautiful silk scarf. All wrapped up in a fancy bag with a satin ribbon. it looks quite elegant and quite expensive.

I next went to my favorite dentist, where my sis was having her tooth done. He gave us a couple of tapes to listen to as a gift.

I then went over to visit nana's mom and kids. (Nana my best friend in Canada). they had just come back from Canada where they have been visiting her. Her mom gave me the stuff Nana sent me as a gift: Harry Potter and the Half Blooded Prince, and some vitamins :)

I was telling my sis on our way home : hey I got 3 gifts today! I wonder which one I am most thrilled about.

it came to me that the value of a gift is often more related to the giver and circumstances rather than the actual value of the gift.

I realized that I liked getting the tapes the most, even though they could be found anywhere for 5 L.E. each! The person who gave them to us is someone I greatly admire and have admired for close to 10 years. We have never been friends, but i so respect and like him. because a gift from this person was so unexpected, it was quite refreshing.

the silk scarf was really beautiful, but made me feel a bit funny, I felt obliged to get the person something back, and i didn't know if I can. Also i felt that I might not diserve it.

The Harry Potter book is indeed great, but nana is so close to me, and I have been literally nagging her to get it, it didn't feel like a gift. It is like when you tell your mom to tell you to get Icecream on her way back. It is but a fraction of our friendship that i so cherish. that is her real gift to me.

But A gift has such a beautiful meaning, esp. when given in no occasion, just for no reason. It shows that someone cares about making you a bit happier by giving you something that you might like. It shows someone was thinking about you when they got it. It shows someone wants to reach out to you without expecting anything in return (most of the time) except that you enjoy it. I remember the Hadith by the Prophet PBUH:" tahadoo ta7abbooo" meaning that if you exchange gifts, you will love each other.

5 Comments:

  • At 9/01/2005 1:23 AM, Blogger roora said…

    Mesh m3koola keda ya doshar , You are a dentist and you let your sis to go to a dentist :)
    I agree with you gifts bring happiness and joy even if small and especially if unexpected and without looking for something in return

     
  • At 9/01/2005 2:34 PM, Blogger Me said…

    "It shows someone was thinking about you when they got it."

    That's the most thing I like about gifts...

     
  • At 9/02/2005 4:31 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I remember receiving a promotional pack of matches from a colleague of mine. There was no special occasion, he just felt like giving me this really cool looking promotional item. I was so happy to get it! I also love getting stuff from the people I love. Doesn't matter if it's just a note or something not really that big. The fact that they remebered you matters a lot more.

     
  • At 9/05/2005 3:38 AM, Blogger kevin said…

    asalam alaykum!,

    nice blog. I'll be back a little later to read more deeply, thanks!

    see you at Paul's.

    kevin

     
  • At 12/12/2011 4:53 PM, Anonymous Sterling Delorme said…

    Three gifts and it's not even Christmas yet! You must be a very likeable person, and I think the dentist who gave you those tapes admire and respect you as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home