share some thoughts

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Washing Machine

I was just having my coffee infront of the TV after Iftar, watching nothing in particular. Iqraa channel was on, some programme that I was not following. The programme showed this Guy from the programme who had just knocked on a woman's door. I did not get if this was a random door he chose, or if she was specifically selected for some reason, but the woman happened to be an egyptian living in Saudi. She looked like she was a poor woman, with her kids around her, and she was smiling and talking to the Guy. The guy suddenly announced that he had something for her. A gift, i don't know from the programme or some charity cause , i do not know. A worker came in and brought in a brand new washing machine in its cardboard box. This is for you, the man said. The woman's face lit up with pleasure i have not seen in anyone's face in a long time. real happiness. "Oh my, I can't believe it, come in and see, I wash all my clothes on my hand". She was so happy, and her eyes were brimming with tears of unexpected pleasure. she kept looking at the machine while talking to him with love and tenderness as if it is a new born baby. I was glad to see someone so happy. " Al Kheir fe ommet Mohamed" the Guy said. (The good is in Mohamed's people). I felt like yes, Elhamdo Lillah.

I looked around me at all the luxuries we are surrounded with day in, and day out. We are so used to them, we take them for granted. We do not feel them, and we keep on complaining from petty stuff. We need to see others to appreciate what we have. We have so much. And we are not thankful enough.

Being thankful is not just by saying "elhamdulillah", though it is important. it is also by using what we have for the good. by having content with our status. by Appreciating everything God has given us. By trying to please God to try to thank him for all he has given us. and one big thing that we must do more often. We should let go of some of what we have, for the sake of those who don't. I say this, and my closet is full and over flowing with clothes. alot of which i do not wear. Our misery and stinginess hold us back from helping others. I hope I can over come this, maybe I can make someone as happy as this woman was just a little while ago. Everyone is the most generous in Ramadan. And we take good example from our prophet Mohamed Peace Be Upon Him, He was the most generous in ramadan, to the extent that he was like the sent wind. Salla Allaho 3ala Mohamad, Salla Allaho 3aleih wa sallam.

19 Comments:

  • At 10/19/2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Eman M said…

    :) This is touchy
    We need to thank Allah fe3lan for all the blesses He gives us everyday. E7na mesh 7aseen b 7al el nas 7walena khales wala 7aseen bel ne3am el kebera elli e7na 3aisheen feha begad.

     
  • At 10/20/2005 12:12 AM, Blogger roora said…

    Doshar, yes this is touching,

    no wonder prophet Mohamed (PBUH) said in a hadith by what it means, that if a person would go and move for some one else need, is better than e3tekak ( do nothing but worshiping God ) for one month.

    There is a certain hadith , that I cant recall by word very well, it was like , do you get money or strength except for the poor and weak people , something like that.

    But it was like a reminder that if God gave us anything, we should use in helping the others, because we will be a tool then.

     
  • At 10/20/2005 12:52 AM, Blogger Lasto-adri *Blue* said…

    yes, that was very touchy..
    el7amd lelah for all the pleasure and blessings we have in our daily life....

     
  • At 10/21/2005 1:29 AM, Blogger Me said…

    You're right Doshar about how we take things for granted...a few months ago I started to think of all the things I wanted to thank God for after each prayer of the five during the day.. you knwo when you say the tasabee7 of el7amdulilah 33 times ? well.. I'd keep thinking of the things I wanted to thank God for then... and I'd finish the 33 times before finishing my things!!! It's really nice when you do that because you're constantly reminding yourself of all the blessings God has given you adn thanking Him ..
    "Ya Rab laka al7amd kama yanbaghi lejalal Wajhak wa 3atheem Sultanak"

    Irina,

    "Yet, I think the real generosity starts when you give something that you need yourself..."

    That's what Islam tells us to do!!! Our Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon him) tells us that our faith reaches a very high degree when we are able to give away things we really like and need...

    Maybe you can help me on that Doshar.. I don't remember the Hadith word for word...

     
  • At 10/21/2005 10:51 AM, Blogger doshar said…

    hey irirna, yes , your words are true. and me, yes, i know of this value, i do not know o f a hadith, but there is an aya that says:

    " lan tanalo al birr 7atta tonfeko mimma to7ebboon...." Al Imran, verse 92

    this means something like this: you would not believe until you give of what you like".

    this trait is very apparent in alot of the stories in the prophet's life (PBUH). And with the Ansar of the madina when they gave alot of their stuff to the moslem immigrants from Mecca.

    Me: this blessing counting in each prayer is a really good idea. I will try to see if I can do it. Although, you know, if we count God's gift, we can not.

     
  • At 10/21/2005 1:12 PM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    Is this telepathy or what?:))
    I was thinking of the same thing last night when I didn't find hot water in the tab and switched on the water heater and kept wating for the hot water. I was about to write a post about that... HOW DO WE TAKE GOD BLESSES (NE3AM) FOR GRANTTED? I thought of the poor people who are suffering of not having water at all. We have to stop complaining about trivial things in our life and to thank God for what we have.
    we la2n shakarton la azidanakom.
    Al7amdolelah

     
  • At 10/21/2005 1:57 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks Doshar for the aya ... couldn't remember where it was yesterday... I think I got confused and thought it was a hadith maybe ...

    "Although, you know, if we count God's gift, we can not. "

    Yes that's exactly it !!! As I said
    "I'd keep thinking of the things I wanted to thank God for then... and I'd finish the 33 times before finishing my things!!! "

    It's not actually "counting" here... it's more of giving yourself the time to actually sit and think of all the blessings God has given you and feel thankful...

     
  • At 10/21/2005 4:01 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    I've realized that more and more as my medical condition has progressed - that saying, "You don't know what you got till it's gone."

    It truly is a knee jerk reaction, for most of us, I think, to compare ourselves with those more fortunate - like, "I should have that too" - rather than comparing ourselves with the less fortunate and counting our blessings.

    It's a good thing to reflect on...

     
  • At 10/21/2005 11:51 PM, Blogger tota said…

    Ahamdullah for everything we got, health, money ... rest
    and over all thank god that he is making us see all this & feel it, so we appreciate our life more & more
    Al 7amdlelah

     
  • At 10/24/2005 8:05 PM, Blogger Aisha said…

    wonderful reflection.

     
  • At 10/26/2005 4:34 PM, Blogger أبو سنان said…

    Good post, you are so right. No matter how bad we have it, others are MUCH worse.

     
  • At 10/28/2005 9:34 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Touching post, Doshar! It is really great to see people feeling so happy.

     
  • At 10/29/2005 6:42 AM, Blogger ~Daydreamer~ said…

    Again, another great post Doshar. I agree as well.

     
  • At 10/31/2005 9:51 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Miss you...

     
  • At 11/02/2005 3:21 PM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    doshar, where are you? Did you go on a 2-week vaction with roora?

     
  • At 11/04/2005 12:08 PM, Blogger tota said…

    Happy Feast to you Doshar, Wish to c ya on the blogosphere soon!

     
  • At 11/08/2005 5:03 PM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    Welcome back Doshar, 3omra maqboula insha'allah

     
  • At 11/08/2005 7:33 PM, Blogger doshar said…

    thanks wonderer, rabbena yekhalleeky. have been postponing blogging lately because i've had a cold since i came back. still do actually. but olt adkhol ba2a!

    me.. ezzayek. roora da3atlek 3ala fekra


    every body else: happy feast, and 3okbal next ramadan IS Allah

     
  • At 11/08/2005 7:50 PM, Blogger Me said…

    7amdellah 3al salama ya Do !!! W 3omra maqboula isA w 3o2balna e7na kamaaaaaaaan...

    You guys are so sweet... da3etlokom too on my trip back from Libya btw :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home