share some thoughts

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

your route

This week school started. Thank God. I needed a little more routine and order to my days. this summer has been totally sporadic. everything done on impulse; travelling, going out, staying home, shopping, reading, even working! while it is sometimes nice, but knowing that I actually have tons to do, I needed some settling down and routine. I also needed to get in the working mood after relaxing for 4 months. So this week i have been to work everyday now and waking up early has been wierdly refreshing.

anyway, driving to work this morning, I was listening to the radio (negoom FM) and I heard this very short broadcast called (tareekak delwakty), Your route right now. This guy was actually telling us which roads are crowded at the moment, which are better routes to take, where the traffic jams are, how much time is expected to go somewhere etc. I couldn't believe it. It felt like a dream come true, and this guy is my new best friend. I live quite on the other side of the city from where I work, and going to work everyday, I never know how it will be. So, I was really happy with this. People tell me this has been on for a while, but i guess i missed it because i usually listen to tapes, but the player wasn't working for some reason.

needless to say, the guy said that 6th of October bridge was very crowded, and yet I took it anyway. after all what choice did I have? and yup, sure enough, it was very crowded, and I got to work half an hour late. I think I spend too much of my day driving to and from work. Have to find something interesting to do on my way. any suggestions?

9 Comments:

  • At 9/20/2005 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Books on tape. audible is a good source http://www.audible.com/

    I also download podcasts, and listen to them in the car, u can find realy interesting stuff out there.

     
  • At 9/20/2005 11:14 PM, Blogger Id it is said…

    Books on tape is one. Returning calls (using the ear phone attchemnt ofcourse), especially those that are long overdue is another possibility.
    Getting an update on traffic via FM is something every American swears by. They do both simultaneously; start the car and listen to the traffic update which comes on every 10 mins.

     
  • At 9/21/2005 12:11 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Happy New School Year ya Do !! :-)
    How about listening to some Duroos on the way? (Unless you may find it distracting)

     
  • At 9/23/2005 12:06 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Just don't use your cell phone if you can help it...

    It used to drive me crazy in DC. Seemed like every other driver had a cell phone on his or her ear, and they say it's as dangerous as if you were driving after drinking.

     
  • At 9/23/2005 10:22 AM, Blogger doshar said…

    anonymous and ID: yeah i thought about that, audio tapes. could be a good idea, even though i prefer reading myself :)

    me: derous? i know, all of the derous i heard, were listened to in the car. it is great

    irina: yeah i think sometiems, and i do silently pray sometimes, esp. when i am going somewhere and need to pray: ex. an exam.

    paul: welcome back. the phone thing, i know, it is dangerous, but wierdly addictive. it is the most appealing time to make phonecalls somehow. every other time, we kind of have something better to do.

     
  • At 9/23/2005 12:47 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I second that Doshar! Reading a real book is far better. But you could listen to some music. The earpiece thingy, I didn't decide, anyway, it is better then a real cell phone that needs a hand to hold it.

     
  • At 9/24/2005 2:33 AM, Blogger AsianSmiles said…

    i don't drive so when i am in someone else's, i make sure that i 'entertain' him or her with stories etc. it keeps them from getting bored (and sleepy). then there's this time when i joined car pools, it's fun and it saved my taxi funds. maybe you could try it.

     
  • At 9/24/2005 11:13 AM, Blogger doshar said…

    jade, i checked it out. great idea!

    asian smiles:
    yeah, my favorite pastime is when i have someone with me! and i do take someone from work with me when possible, and we chat all the way!

     
  • At 9/25/2005 9:55 AM, Blogger Lasto-adri *Blue* said…

    well, change your route from "driving to and from work" to "driving from and to work"


    jus' kiddin ;)

    u know life has been that boring for a while.. all of a sudden u find something interesting to do... and all of a sudden as well.. you find yourself bombareded.....

    good luck

     

Post a Comment

<< Home