share some thoughts

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Book Fair anyone?


Oh I was so looking forward to the book fair this year! Actually I look forward to it every year. Was supposed to go today, but instead here I am sitting at home at the computer. I was supposed to go with my sister in law, but she told me last night that she can not make it, and it was too short a notice to find someone else to go with me. Maybe I can go tomorrow?

A friend of mine since I was 15 called me this morning, and telling her about the book fair she says: oh my , you still go? remember when we used to go?

Apparently she had lost interest in it. even then, she still remembers the one book she had bought 12 years ago when we went together. We were supposed to meet a friend, and did not find him. found another friend by chance instead and spent the day with him/them.. don't remember exactly. she remembers quite well though. Good memory :).

Nana is my usual bookfair partner. last week i sent her an email (she is in Canada now) telling her this is the first year in quite a while that we don't go together. She replied that that mail made her cry. I guess the bookfair is emotional stuff isn't it? hehe. no really, she cried because it just emphasised all the things that we miss about being around each other. She is supposed to come late March or so. I do miss her.

So back to the bookfair thing...want to go before the soccer thing gets the streets all crowded. Also to get the best picks in azbakeyya. For anyone who does not know this, if you go to the book fair, the azbakeyya has a very big section there. very good. and you can get very good deals too. After the prices of books have gone up so much, used books is almost the only way to go if you buy as many books as I do.

Happy belated eid adha wished by the way!

12 Comments:

  • At 1/18/2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do: I SO want to go

     
  • At 1/18/2006 8:57 PM, Blogger MoonLightShadow said…

    LOL.. was just going to write about that :D

    I'm an addict to the book fair, even if I don't buy many books, but I can't miss going. An event that I couldn't miss. I used to buy books when I was younger more than I do now. Weird, isn't it?! Well, may be coz I wasn't used to buy books as much as I was used to buy short stories w al3'az el mo3'amroon el 7'amsa :D

    I used to go with my cousin, but since about 2 or 3 years each one now goes on her own. Well, I don't mind going alone, in fact I guess sometimes it's better coz I might be interested in something others are not interested in.

    This year I was planning to go early before it gets crowded. Was planning to go this weekend. Today, after I was done with work, I went there, but not for the book fair, for a flower fair which I went through quickly couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I went there to find them removing things and ending the fair :(

    Thought, fine, I gotta make use of the opportunity and check the book fair, but they were closing :( and went home b 7’ofayy 7onayn :D

     
  • At 1/19/2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Rain said…

    I love going there ... being among books really thrills me , it makes me feel like buying all the books on the shelves :D.

    But I have 3 books I'm currently planning to read... I don't know if I went there i might stuck with more books on the shelf ... the idea is not getting more books for storing.. and I have a theory , if u didn't do things in their time , u'll never do.

    But maybe I'll have a look around there ... i hope it won't be too crowded,I hate crowd!

     
  • At 1/19/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger H said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1/20/2006 5:27 AM, Blogger H said…

    Hello Doshar
    I was Googling my own name out of boredom when I found your blog. My name is Hisham Gamal and I used to write very good poetry!!
    In March 1997 I was probably ending my intern (imtiaz) year in Cairo University Hospitals (Kasr ElAini) If this rings any bells I would appreciate it if you contact me at m22672@hotmail.com

     
  • At 1/22/2006 11:56 AM, Blogger doshar said…

    hey anyone who did not go....GO!

    i went last thursday al hamdulillah.. and i really want to go again. there are some very good bargains at azbakeyya, and some at the auc bookstore too. just be careful to not go when a match is being played in the stadiu, esp. if egypt is playing. it would be very crowded getting in and out, but i bet inside would be empty.

    chicco...nice to have you drop by. you know, even though i had just finished my internship november 96, still i am sorry to say it does not ring any bells. so either there are no bells to ring on this one, or i am getting amnesia. take care.

     
  • At 1/22/2006 8:50 PM, Blogger H said…

    Hi Doshar
    I guess 9 years are really a long time!! It really flies by (whether or not having fun ;)Anyway all the best

     
  • At 1/23/2006 6:47 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Dodo ...I wanna go tooooooooooo !!!! My bro went last year and he got some really good buys at azbakeya....

    Maybe I can arrange to come one day and you guys help me around if you're free? How long is it going to be on?

     
  • At 1/23/2006 10:47 PM, Blogger Rain said…

    Me,
    it's still going till 3rd of February.
    if u'll come to cairo , I'd really love to meet u .. I hope to be free by that thime :( ... I couldn't go till now!!!

     
  • At 1/23/2006 11:11 PM, Blogger roora said…

    Me , I will be the first in line , who would like to escourt you:)

     
  • At 1/23/2006 11:35 PM, Blogger doshar said…

    me... ta3aly!! begad. mish bahazzar. e7gezy fe el train. i have agaza el youmen dol!

    i would love to go again and would love to take you!

    come, and we will take care for you the whole day! and show you a good time ISA. Rain, ya reit you can come with us! it would be fun ISA.

     
  • At 1/24/2006 1:25 AM, Blogger Lasto-adri *Blue* said…

    mm.. i just came back today girlies..
    and i bought a hell sum of books.. :D
    still looking forward to go again isA.. since i still got other things in mind i want to buy hopfully...
    so write abt ur furture plans i might catch up with ya

     

Post a Comment

<< Home