share some thoughts

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

you can eat chicken!

I noticed lately, that due to the bird flu scare, that alot of people have quit eating poultry and eggs all together. Was gonna do that myself, but we eat chicken so much!

Also, I noticed that this is an opportunity for butchers to increase the price of meat. Of course on the other hand, the price of chicken is going down, but people are too scared to eat it. No one wants to get sick. Of course this is a very valid concern, but when in place. A lot of people do not know exactly what this bird flu is, and how it gets transmitted to man.

Wanting to eat chicken again, I looked it up in different places. I had already read that the virus dies at 70 degree Celsuis. So cooking them properly would put you on the safe side. The main method of infection seems to be among those who actually raise infected chicken, or handle them during slaughter and stuff. I also found a useful link on the net discussing it in detail. And now I know I can eat chicken, I just have to make sure it is well cooked. That, we already do. One point well taken: with eggs, we usually like them with runny yolks, and that seems to be a risk, as the yolks do not get well cooked. so now I cook my eggs properly :).

The sad thing is... it is easy for people who are well educated and well off to find this information out, and thus are aware of all the facts. They can eat the poultry, while they are the ones who can afford to eat meat everyday instead of chicken. Ironically, On the other hand, most of the population, is on the poorer, less educated and less cultured side. So they would probably just act on rumours, or on what they see on TV at best. So most of them are just too scared to eat chicken. And these people are unfortunately the poorest, and the least able to buy meat.

Wish Butchers would not take advantage of something like this like that. Also I wish that the media would increase the awareness topics, informing the public of the risks. May God preserve us all in good health ISA.

7 Comments:

  • At 12/27/2005 10:31 PM, Blogger Rain said…

    Great news , cause I prefer chicken to meat :D

    I don't know.. but I think those who can't afford buying meat can't aslo afford buying chicken...and u know meat prices will increase also because of 3eed ...
    But let's be optimistic , this great occasion of 3eed is to make everyone happy and close to each other with the wonderful spirit and takafol that's what our great religion Islam targets.

     
  • At 12/28/2005 12:11 AM, Blogger LouLou said…

    doshar,

    As I type am eating smoked turkey on toast. Wasn't sure if Turkey was as risky as chicken. Or if smoked food is cooked well enough. But this is my favorite sandwich & it's been ages since I had so I decided in the end Allah 7afiz. Ya3ni we avoid beef because of Mad Cow disease. Now we avoid chicken because of bird flu. At this rate we will die of starvation.:(

     
  • At 12/29/2005 1:48 AM, Blogger Dalulla said…

    Girls,
    sadly now every thing is scary... Really, even vegetables and fruits are being showered with all sorts of weird things.. Wallahi rabena yestor 3aleina and 3ala this coming generations.

    And worst of all the mutations of viral diseases. Having a kid, u cannot imagine how often those poor little munchkins get sick! It is really freeeeky. Bas what can we say, Like loulo said, Allah el 7afiz. Kol lan yosibana ila ma kataba Allaho lana, and we should try as best as we can to take our precautions! But what does really scare me, is how can we know?! I guess again, Allaho Al hafiz!

     
  • At 12/29/2005 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do: thanks for sharing coz it is really important for people to know, as for me and my family, we first stopped eating chicken until one of the doctors here at the company gave me like an hour and half lecture about the disease and stuff...then we resumed eating chicken again...the bad news ba2a is that I love boiled eggs with a bit runny yolk :((

     
  • At 12/29/2005 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do: thanks for sharing coz it is really important for people to know, as for me and my family, we first stopped eating chicken until one of the doctors here at the company gave me like an hour and half lecture about the disease and stuff...then we resumed eating chicken again...the bad news ba2a is that I love boiled eggs with a bit runny yolk :((

     
  • At 12/30/2005 6:52 AM, Blogger idi said…

    In reference to the bird flu I wish you for the next year that every flu you get... physically or perhaps in other aspects of life: that you may be strong, patient and overcoming
    so that you will be a healthy person which helps and is helped by other persons
    God's blessings
    Heidi

     
  • At 1/01/2006 4:41 AM, Blogger Twosret said…

    Happy New Year Doshar.....sorry I keep missing you but I'm in the middle of moving.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home